[swift-evolution] Swift evolution proposal: introduce typeprivate access control level

Jay Abbott jay at abbott.me.uk
Sat Dec 3 19:25:37 CST 2016

@Xiaodi @Tino
Apologies for my assumption that every developer already knows how to use
Trello - the “lists” contain “cards” and the cards can be opened and you
can add a more detailed description, comments, checklists, images, and
other stuff. The thing you see in the list is just the title/headline of
the card. Have another go.

https://trello.com/b/fmv4uV3n/swift-access-control

@Xiaodi
Feel free to add a new list called “Bad Features” if you want, and add one
card for each anti-feature, with a title and more detail/information in the
card description about why it’s bad.

I agree that friend classes in C++ were a horrible thing, but I think that
my suggestion of “detailed access control defined by the user in named
access-groups” would solve such problems, by allowing API authors to define
“friends” however they like, and name them Friends or ToDoFixThisProperly
or ThingsThatCanAccessMyProperty or MutableSubclasses or ImmutableSubclasses
(etc.). Rien also suggested pretty much the same thing, but with the
definition directly in the access(details go here about exactly what can
access) modifier instead of being defined in a named group.
​