[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Jonathan S. Shapiro jonathan.s.shapiro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:29:26 CDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Alex Blewitt <alblue at apple.com> wrote:

> The "Symbol, Other" category contains "Sign of the Horns" 🤘 which was
> one of the problems with the identifier/operator that kicked off these
> discussions.

Actually not. In the interests of sanity I didn't give the full
specification statement, which excludes anything in XIDC, emojis, or
pictographics. From the UAX31 perspective those are sanity conditions, and
I think they would be prudent for Swift as well.

You can still put the horns on somebody, but you have to use a conventional
identifier.... :-)

Jonathan