[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Alex Blewitt alblue at apple.com
Thu Oct 20 10:22:37 CDT 2016

The "Symbol, Other" category contains "Sign of the Horns" 🤘 which was one of the problems with the identifier/operator that kicked off these discussions.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f918/index.htm

So it would break some existing cases, e.g.:

  1> let \U+1F913 = "nerd face"
🤓: String = "nerd face"

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f913/index.htm

On the other hand, there are some symbols in [:So:] that may be useful e.g. the APL Functional Symbol * series

It might be easier to have just [:Sm:] to start with, and review the [:So:] subsequently (or have those addressed in UAX31).

Alex