[swift-dev] How to create my first pull request

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Mon Mar 27 15:20:46 CDT 2017

> On Mar 27, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Pavol Vaskovic via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I’d like to create my first full request (as requested by Jordan Rose in SR-4373 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-4373>), but I didn’t find enough information about how to proceed on the Swift’s Contributing page, nor during my googling.
>
> I am not very familiar with git/github outside of browsing and checking out code.
>
> So far I have completed the "Getting Started” steps:
> * checked out the swift-source
> * got it to compile on my machine (debug and release)
> * manually ran benchmark suite (filed SR-4357 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-4357>, BTW what does SR for?)
>
> Now the Contributing to Swift guide <https://swift.org/contributing/#contributing-code> left me hanging dry. I don’t understand what should I do now.
>
> I think I should fork the apple/swift project on GitHub.It looks like the update-checkout script can be configured using update-checkout-config.json… is this where I point it to my fork?
>
> I guess I should create a branch where I’ll develop my changes and then create a pull request from there? (I’ve skimmed https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request-from-a-fork/ <https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request-from-a-fork/>)
>
> Can somebody point me to more detailed documentation or tell me how should I proceed? Thanks!

(I don’t know what SR stands for… maybe “Service Request”? Anyway…)

What I did was fork apple/swift so I have a copy of the project in my github account, and create branches off of that for whatever SR I’m working on. Then when the issue is resolved and I’ve committed all the changes to the branch hosted on my github, I go to Apple’s repository and submit a pull request to their master branch from whatever branch I was working on in my fork.

I’m not sure this is the best way (in particular, I haven’t figured out how to automatically sync my fork’s master with Apple’s master), but it’s worked so far.

I hope that helps! I’m pretty new to git/github as well, so I know where you’re coming from in terms of being confused by everything.

- Dave Sweeris