[swift-evolution] Handling unknown cases in enums [RE: SE-0192]

Dave DeLong swift at davedelong.com
Fri Jan 12 17:20:48 CST 2018

I assume you’re referring to this?
Implicitly treat enums without binary compatibility concerns as @frozen

Several people questioned whether it was necessary to make this distinction for libraries without binary compatibility concerns, i.e. those that are shipped with their client apps. While there may be a need to do something to handle enums shipped with Apple's OS SDKs, it's arguable whether this is worth it for "source libraries", such as SwiftPM packages.

This question can be rephrased as "is adding a case to an enum a source-breaking change?"

I don’t follow on how this is a source-breaking change.

Let’s say I’m writing an app “A” that embeds a module “M”, which defines and enum “E”.

If E is frozen, the everything’s fine and all is well.
If E is *not* frozen, then the compiler is going to force me to put in an “unknown case”, because it has falsely concluded that E may change out from underneath my app.

The will be a mistake on the compiler’s part. I do not need to include the “unknown case” handler while enumerating on E, because there is no possibility of ever getting an unknown enum value from M, because it is statically copied in to my app and will never change.

Dave