[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:34:03 CST 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 18:08 Jon Gilbert via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> See below.
>
> On Dec 6, 2017, at 02:45, Nick Keets via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Apologies, I may have misunderstood you. What I wanted to say is that I
> see no problem allowing "dangerous" stuff that may be abused.
>

> You see no problem with danger and abuse?
>
> I guess we have differing philosophies...
>
> https://developer.apple.com/swift/ states:
>
> “Swift eliminates entire classes of unsafe code.”
>
> Lets keep it that way.
>
> I’m all for this proposal if it can be tweaked to where any of the
> dangerous invocations contain the word, “Unsafe”, or equivalent.

Again, in Swift, “safety” means something very specific. Trapping at
runtime is safe; in fact, trapping at runtime is *precisely the means by
which safety is achieved* in the case of integer overflow and array
indexing. This proposal introduces nothing that is unsafe.

~Jon