[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Steven Brunwasser sbrunwasser at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 11:19:58 CST 2017

Just wanted to give my 2¢

¢
I don’t like empty protocols—they feel like an abuse of the feature. I think attributes are the right way to go, since this proposal is about enabling syntactic sugar for types which can’t yet be described in the language as-is. This prevents retroactive conformance on preexisting types, which some have raised as a concern.

¢
I think the discussion about whether or not implementations should throw, return optional, or be implicitly unwrapped is a larger discussion on its own, and should probably be a separate proposal to steer the language towards a more well defined convention. That being said, I’m of the opinion that they should always return an implicitly unwrapped value. The precedent is already in the language, it allows for cleaner syntax while also explicitly stating “hey, just so you know, I might not work, so be careful, ok?”, and callers can choose to be more cautious by explicitly using the ? operator.

That is all,
- Steve