[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Nate Cook natecook at apple.com
Sun Nov 5 22:44:34 CST 2017

Thanks for continuing to push this forward, Alejandro! I’m excited about the potential of having access to these APIs as part of the standard library. Here are a few comments on some different parts of the proposal:

1) For your RandomGenerator protocol, I’m not totally clear on the semantics of the next(_:) and next(_:upperBound:) methods. Do they both have zero as their lower bound, for example? I’m not sure it makes sense to have signed integers generated directly by an RNG—perhaps T: FixedWidthInteger & UnsignedInteger would be a more useful constraint. (Does it even need to be generic? What if RNGs just generate UInt32s?)

2) Can you say more about the purpose of the Randomizable protocol? How would we use that protocol in useful ways that we wouldn’t get from being able to select random values from ranges (half-open and closed) of FixedWidthInteger / BinaryFloatingPoint? My experience has been that a full-width random value is rarely what a user needs.

3) I agree with Xiaodi that Random should probably be a struct with a single shared instance, but I don’t think it should be internal. Hiding that shared RNG would make it hard for non-stdlib additions to have the same usage, as they would need to have completely separate implementations for the “default” and custom RNG versions.

4) I would also still suggest that the simplest version of random (that you use to get a value from a range or an element from a collection) should be a function, not a property. Collection properties like first, last, and count all represent facts that already exist about a collection, and don’t change unless the collection itself changes. Choosing a random element, on the other hand, is clearly going to be freshly performed on each call. In addition, with the notable exception of count, we try to ensure O(1) performance for properties, while random will be O(n) except in random-access collections. Finally, if it is a method, we can unify the two versions by providing a single method with the shared RNG as the default parameter.

5) To match the sorted() method, shuffled() should be on Sequence instead of Collection. I don’t think either shuffled() or shuffle() needs to be a protocol requirement, since there isn’t really any kind of customization necessary for different kinds of collections. Like the sorting algorithms, both could be regular extension methods.

6) I don’t know whether or not a consensus has formed around the correct spelling of the APIs for generating random values. From the proposal it looks like the preferred ways of getting a random value in a range would be to use the random property (or method) on a range or closed range:

    (0..<10).random          // 7
    (0.0 ... 5.0).random     // 4.112312

If that’s the goal, and we don’t want those values to be optional, we’ll need an implementation of random for floating-point ranges and an overload for fixed-width integer ranges. That said, I don’t think that style is as discoverable as having static methods or initializers available on the different types:

    Int.random(in: 0..<10)
    Double.random(in: 0.0 ... 5.0)
    // or maybe
    Int(randomIn: 0..<10)
    Double(randomIn: 0.0 ... 5.0)

(My only quibble with the initializer approach is that Bool would be awkward.)

In addition, this alternative approach could make creating random values more consistent with types that don’t work well in ranges:

    Data.random(bytes: 128)
    Color.random(r: 0...0, g: 0...1, b: 0...1, a: 1...1)

————

Thanks again!
Nate