[swift-evolution] Adding Result to the Standard Library

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 19:01:44 CDT 2017

This is clearly a fine addition to the standard library; even Swift's Error
Handling Rationale (
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst)
mentions such an addition

What separates standard library types from other types is that they have
language level support, and the wrapping and unwrapping syntax here could
definitely benefit from it (`.unwrap()`--which should be `.unwrapped()`
incidentally--is so much less elegant in comparison to `?` and `!` for
optionals (not that `Result` should use the exact such syntax for a
distinct operation)). It would be a shame to transpose a third-party
`Result` to the standard library without considering if any such tweaks
would substantially improve ergonomics, interconversion with Optional and
throws, etc.