[swift-evolution] Adding Result to the Standard Library

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Nov 2 14:20:24 CDT 2017

I have been writing code in a style that uses explicit effect handling lately.  In this style of code, a request describing an async task is returned from a function and later interpreted by a library.  When the task completes the library passes the result to completion handler that is part of the task description (which produces subsequent effects to interpret).

It isn’t possible to express the completion handlers attached to task descriptions as an async call.  The function needs to return the task description immediately.  For this reason, I believe it will be necessary to continue using a Result type in code written in this style even after async / await is introduced.