[swift-evolution] classprivate protection level?

Mike Kluev mike.kluev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 07:34:46 CDT 2017

On 30 October 2017 at 07:30, Adam Kemp <adam.kemp at apple.com> wrote:

> No. There are two reasonable options:
>
> 1. Make it public. If it’s needed outside the module then this is an
> accurate description of its access level.
>
> 2. Make it internal and accept that any code in the same module can access
> it. Again, that is effectively what your proposed scope allows anyway so
> internal is an accurate description of its actual access level. Call it
> what it is.

Adam, i fail to see why you say "No" to "one module per class approach" if
the goal is to make the individual multi-file classes as isolated as
possible (i.e. not see each other "internal" stuff). which (this goal) is
considered the "way to go" approach in other languages and the "default"
behaviour.

this:

SingleFileClass1.swift // with bunch of "privates" inside

SingleFileClass2.swift // with bunch of "privates" inside

SingleFileClass3.swift // with bunch of "privates" inside

is equivalent to this:

Module solely for Class1
   Class1.swift // with bunch of "internals inside
   Class1+Extension.swift // with bunch of "internals" inside

Module solely for Class2
   Class2.swift // with bunch of "internals" inside
   Class2+Extension.swift // with bunch of "internals" inside

Module solely for Class3
   Class3.swift  // with bunch of "internals" inside
   Class3+Extension.swift // with bunch of "internals" inside

still "no" ?

i mean, it's fine (although a bit odd) that a mere change from a
single-file to a multi-file class leads to such drastic consequences.
different to what i saw before. but I can adapt of course.

Either way the answer is basically the same: don’t obfuscate the effective
> access level and pretend you’re being strict when you’re really not. It’s
> like putting a lock on the door with the key hanging from the doorknob. You
> may as well just keep it unlocked.

nice analogy :-)

Mike