[swift-evolution] classprivate protection level?

Adam Kemp adam.kemp at apple.com
Mon Oct 30 02:30:24 CDT 2017

> On Oct 29, 2017, at 9:22 PM, Mike Kluev <mike.kluev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Module1
>
>     Class A in it's own file
>     extension A in it's own file
>
>     Class B in it's own file
>     extension B in it's own file
>
>     Class C in it's own file
>     extension C in it's own file
>
> Module 2
>
> obviously i do not want guys from team B and C accessing anything "team A private".

Then your proposal cannot help you accomplish that goal. If any extension of class A can access a method then someone writing code in the same file as B or C can write an extension of class A and expose it to other code in the same file as B or C. That means when you are making a change to that method you have to assume that there may be code relying on it, and you have to audit that code.

It’s worse than that, though. If that method is accessible even to extensions in other modules then that means any external client of this module could also rely on that behavior, and that means you cannot safely change it at all. You have effectively made it public. You have lost all control. It is no longer encapsulated at all.

When you choose an access level you are deciding which code you are allowing to depend on it, and thus which code you will have to fix if you change it. If a change might break any client of the whole module then it’s public. You’re only fooling yourself if you call it something else.

> is my understanding of your words then correct that you suggest to have this:
>
> Module1
>
>     Class A in it's own file
>     extension A in it's own file
>
> Module2
>
>     Class B in it's own file
>     extension B in it's own file
>
> Module3
>
>     Class C in it's own file
>     extension C in it's own file
>
> Module 4

No. There are two reasonable options:

1. Make it public. If it’s needed outside the module then this is an accurate description of its access level.

2. Make it internal and accept that any code in the same module can access it. Again, that is effectively what your proposed scope allows anyway so internal is an accurate description of its actual access level. Call it what it is.

Either way the answer is basically the same: don’t obfuscate the effective access level and pretend you’re being strict when you’re really not. It’s like putting a lock on the door with the key hanging from the doorknob. You may as well just keep it unlocked.