[swift-evolution] RFC: structuring forums for best use for swift-evolution

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Wed Aug 2 03:46:46 CDT 2017

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 09:44, Tino Heth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the update!
>
>> -  We currently have swift-evolution and swift-evolution-announce.  Should we use a specific “category” in the forum for "proposals that are in active review" — and possibly remove the need to have something like swift-evolution-announce?
> Guess swift-evolution-announce is the right place to ask this question… but I don't know where the answers should go ;-)

Whatever we do concerning swift-evolution-announce, I think it would be worth pinning the review threads to the top of swift-evolution during the review period.

>> Just to help frame the rest of the discussion on this thread, the intention is to move all of the lists to Discourse.
> All lists, and a single instance of Discourse?
> I don't remember if there was a discussion about Discourse in swift-dev… imho that list doesn't suffer from the problems that evolution has.
> Also, it will be very easy to cross-post from users to evolution (without switching from Mailclient to browser and search for a post in the archives), so imho a strong separation has no downsides.

I think swift-users, swift-evolution and swift-evolution-announce would all benefit a lot from Discourse because they are high volume and is more approchable for newcomers. I don’t have a strong opinion about the -dev lists, but its true it would be simpler if everything was on the same platform.

>> - Should we have other topical areas to organize discussions?  If so, at what granularity?
> There are some topics (multithreading, metaprogramming, reflection, generics, ownership…) that imho couldn't be pushed forward on the mailing list because of their size.
> I hope Discourse will help to manage concepts that don't fit in a single proposal (there's a wiki posts feature that sounds promising) and allows talking about features that can't be implemented soon, but might be affected by short-term changes.
> There are already some manifestos written, so I guess there might be Core members with special interest in certain topics who could act as patron for "their" subject.

I think it would be very beneficial to organise discussions by topics. That would allow pinning the relevant manifestos at the top for everyone to keep in mind :)