[swift-evolution] Pitch: Replacement for FileHandle

Derrick Ho wh1pch81n at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:47:41 CST 2017

I agree that the current state of bug reporting through radars is
unmotivating.

We file these bug reports and have no idea if it even made a difference.
After seeing this many times we just don't bother with bug reports.

Sure I understand that internally apple uses duplicated issues to show how
often an issue is happening. I guess those numbers motivate an apple
engineer to work on it. Well guess what, those numbers could motivate every
non-apple developer as well! We want to know that our "vote" counts!

Maybe the reason is that apple doesn't want to expose to the world that a
bug exists and therefore keeps it a secret. It is hard to keep bugs a
secret because eventually someone will blog about it or talk about it in a
public MAILING LIST.

I would very much like it if we could see the original bug report and
references to the duplicate reports so we know that our report made a
difference.

Are there down sides to exposing bug reports to the public?

(Sorry for going off topic as well)