[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Maxim Veksler maxim at vekslers.org
Tue Feb 7 08:10:09 CST 2017

Ok, super off topic but since it's Apple after all...

Email was considered ancient even back at 2007, when the iPhone was lunched
and yet someone at Apple decided it was an important enough channel to use
it's scale as a promotional channel with the "Sent from my iPhone", this
persists to this very day. I wonder - What was the rational behind that
decision?  Possibly that might shade some new insights for this ongoing
discussion of email vs. web.

I personally feel that email is raw, i.e. the "protocol" and there might be
a room for a new native based solution aimed at mailing lists which
supports "modern" type of communication but behind the scenes communicates
using "raw" email messages to enable all the awesome Crusties in the
community a valid solution. The beauty of email is that the information is
mine. I don't need to worry about anyone shutting their discourse / service
down and me losing all the historic reference. I "own" it, I can search it.
I can print it and co.

-m