[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Ben Rimmington me at benrimmington.com
Sat Feb 4 09:12:09 CST 2017

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 18:02, Nate Cook wrote:
>
>> On Jan 25, 2017, at 3:32 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>>
>> I’ve looked into Discourse a bit, and it does look very promising. One *specific* way in which a motivated individual could help would be to take a look at Discourse’s import scripts and try importing swift-evolution’s mailing archives with them. We absolutely do not want to lose history when we switch technologies. Do the messages import well? Are threading and topics maintained in a reasonable manner? Does Discourse provide effective UI for looking into past discussions on some specific topic we’re interested in?
>

> I forged the mighty, turgid rivers of rubyenv, hand-tweaked gem dependencies, and sed-cleaned mbox files to try this out—you can see the results of an import (using one or two day old data) at this address:
> 	http://discourse.natecook.com/

Discourse doesn't properly import names with an acute accent:

<http://discourse.natecook.com/t/strings-in-swift-4/2980/77>
<http://discourse.natecook.com/users/_utf-8_Q_F_C3_A9lix>

I'm not sure why "=?utf-8?Q?F=C3=A9lix_Cloutier?=" isn't automatically decoded by the Mail library:

<https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/f1e7bca3c92ea57f69e6ebb19f7fc75f188ab953/script/import_scripts/mbox.rb#L202-L205>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/fields/common/common_address.rb#L43-L47>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/elements/address.rb#L80-L88>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/encodings.rb#L99-L118>