[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Cihat Gündüz cihatguenduez at posteo.de
Sat Feb 4 13:35:52 CST 2017

After trying out Nate Cook’s Discourse test server I’d like to add a few things on my previous message:

#1 I found the beginning of this threads discussion without any problems (both from navigating through the threads structure and from the search feature) which was interesting for me, as I couldn’t do that in my mail client given that I opted in to the mailing list later on. Especially the fact that at the beginning Discourse wasn’t even suggested of the original post was interesting. I wouldn’t have known that without the Discourse test server.

#2 Following a discussion is much easier in general, but I noticed one downside (I guess that’s one of the hurdles to be addressed): Some quotes within emails were imported to threads in a way that makes reading actually much worse. See this thread as an example. The initial messages is repeated over and over again, and since it’s very long scrolling all the time is really annoying here.

#3 I really like the fact that Discourse makes it very simple to get an overview of all the current discussion threads. For example, I opened the Swift Evolution category and could see immediately all threads that I’m aware of since I saw new messages coming in my inbox – but many more, that I wasn’t aware of where discussion seem to have cooled down for a while. That’s really convenient!

Mostly following the discussion is much simpler on Discourse, so my previous claim that it would solve all my problems seem to be true. I’d really like to see this getting to Discourse. Then I would even be able to send my fellow Swift developers links to discussions and they would actually read them – this would improve the quality of our internal best practice discussions a lot.

--
Cihat

Am 4. Februar 2017 um 16:13:32, Ben Rimmington via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 18:02, Nate Cook wrote:
>
>> On Jan 25, 2017, at 3:32 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>>
>> I’ve looked into Discourse a bit, and it does look very promising. One *specific* way in which a motivated individual could help would be to take a look at Discourse’s import scripts and try importing swift-evolution’s mailing archives with them. We absolutely do not want to lose history when we switch technologies. Do the messages import well? Are threading and topics maintained in a reasonable manner? Does Discourse provide effective UI for looking into past discussions on some specific topic we’re interested in?
>

> I forged the mighty, turgid rivers of rubyenv, hand-tweaked gem dependencies, and sed-cleaned mbox files to try this out—you can see the results of an import (using one or two day old data) at this address:
> http://discourse.natecook.com/

Discourse doesn't properly import names with an acute accent:

<http://discourse.natecook.com/t/strings-in-swift-4/2980/77>
<http://discourse.natecook.com/users/_utf-8_Q_F_C3_A9lix>

I'm not sure why "=?utf-8?Q?F=C3=A9lix_Cloutier?=" isn't automatically decoded by the Mail library:

<https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/f1e7bca3c92ea57f69e6ebb19f7fc75f188ab953/script/import_scripts/mbox.rb#L202-L205>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/fields/common/common_address.rb#L43-L47>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/elements/address.rb#L80-L88>
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/5d9e3441b3efdee4c283093ab2872d017258b62d/lib/mail/encodings.rb#L99-L118>