[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Ban the top value in Int/UInt

Guoye Zhang cc941201 at me.com
Wed Oct 19 10:13:28 CDT 2016

> 在 2016年10月19日,07:10,Jeremy Pereira <jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com> 写道:
>

>> On 18 Oct 2016, at 19:17, Guoye Zhang via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Currently, Swift Int family and UInt family have compact representations that utilize all available values, which is inherited from C. However, it is horribly inefficient to implement optional integers. It takes double the space to store [Int?] than to store [Int] because of alignment.
>
> Is this a general problem with Swift? Are lots of people complaining that they are running out of space for their Optional<Int> arrays?

It's just that a common data type wasting almost half the space seems inefficient. I guess this is also the reason why they didn't adopt optional integers widely in stdlib.

>> I propose to ban the top value in Int/UInt which is 0xFFFF... in hex. Int family would lose its smallest value, and UInt family would lose its largest value. Top value is reserved for nil in optionals. An additional benefit is that negating an Int would never crash.
>
> Well the “top value” for signed ints would have to be 0x8000... not 0xffff... which is the representation of -1. The top value for unsigned ints cannot be banned because unsigned integers are often used as bit fields either directly or in OptionSets.
>
> Furthermore, how would the semantics of &+ and &- be affected? What about the performance of those two operators?

I was originally going for the symmetry between Int and UInt as in compatible bit patterns. Now that I think of it, UInt is commonly used for bitwise operations, and it doesn't make sense to optimize for "UInt?" which is uncommon. So I agree that 0x80... is better.

Int performance would surely suffer because of current instruction sets, but Int? would improve.

>> So what do you think? Can we break C compatibility a bit for better Swift types?
>

> Well it’s not just C compatibility, it’s underlying processor compatibility. And actually, yes, I think C compatibility is vastly more important than being able to make your [Int?] arrays smaller considering that full 2’s complement numbers is what the OS calls and libc calls are expecting.

Yes, that is also the result Joe said of their previous internal discussion. Anyway, I know this is improbable, and I'm just glad that this possibility is considered.

- Guoye