[swift-evolution] [Pre-Proposal-Discussion] Union Type - Swift 4

Johannes Neubauer neubauer at kingsware.de
Thu Aug 11 10:11:31 CDT 2016

Dear Jiannan,

> Am 11.08.2016 um 16:52 schrieb Cao, Jiannan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>

> Some ones proposal have always been accepted very quickly even though it is not fully discussed.
>
> I don't know why.
>
> so if some one always focus on swift-evolution then it has more priority to proposal?
>
> What about others?
>
> I proposal this since February, May. no one said it is a problem. But in June, some one lead an idea of & and union type proposal has been listed in not-welcomed proposal for Swift 3. No one notify me that discussion and no one discussed that with me. I try to discuss with the core team but they have no response before June. But After June, they said it is not for Swift 3. OK, I proposed for Swift 4, and get a shit response.
>
> Email list let proposal topic hide themselves?
>
> No direct answer of my Feb, May proposal, but a June discussed sometime somewhere I don't know.
>
> so I make a proposal, and this is the result.

In parts I can understand your frustration although your kind of reaction cuts everybody’s slack, because it is well behind rules of politeness/netiquette whatever. I think it is „normal“ that more active members that have provided good input already get automatically some bonus, even if it was not intended. Its just human.

I am quite new here and tried to add some value to discussions where I have confidence and I had the slight feeling that sometimes people that are more involved in the evolution process take a quick, vague look at my text and answer with some very generic and devastating commentary. This can be frustrating, but still it is a normal thing.

In Kotlin’s evolution process they use different media for different stadium of discussion (which has been proposed here too) and for each stadium they start to introduce a given process (the procedure is work in progress). Currently, there it is like this:

* discuss on Slack to get a feeling whether community gives some response (nobody expects that you look back for months in that history)
* create an issue in their issue tracker for further discussions
* if you get a *go* from the core team create a proposal (with a very similar format as the proposals have here) and create a pull request
* after some discussion you may either abandon your proposal or try to get a so called „shepherd“ from the core team
* from now on the shepherd guides the discussion

I didn’t get further than this yet, so I don’t know whether they have a community voting procedure, but it would be a nice addition.

Perhaps such a more guided (and comprehensible) procedure would help to keep track and make the process more fair (since the goal is to make swift better not to support personal self-affirmation like e.g. the german wikipedia administrators do).

All the best
Johannes