[swift-evolution] adding Obj-C syntax to Swift?

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:19:13 CDT 2016

Regards
(From mobile)

> On Jul 12, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Josh Parmenter via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> My reply didn’t go to the list… my apologies…
>
> On Jul 11, 2016, at 8:19 PM, Ford Prefect <fordpre at mail.com<mailto:fordpre at mail.com>> wrote:
>
> People say nearly every WWDC code example was Swift. That says to newcomers "learn Swift, not Obj C".
> Swift is being ported on other platforms but Objective C is not.
> Google has talked about switching to it, which may be unrelated but likely not since the Valley is a small place.
>
> More people using Swift is great. But C is still used. C++ is used. Why does Obj-C need to go away for Swift to gain a larger dev base?
>
> If Google starts to use Swift, do you see Java going away?

As of 2 years ago the google source code repo had more than 10Mloc of java. It might take a while to replace. Assuming they would adopt swift for android, i give it no more than 2 years for them to come with a fork having all the type-system enhancements apple does not want to add, in the spirit of how they did to the webkit code some of the refectoring the apple team did not want to do (i remember when they did the reorg many wanted or introduced the out of proc loading model first)