[swift-evolution] Swift-based Metal Shading Language

Kristóf Liliom kristof.liliom at mattakis.com
Sun Jul 10 03:22:48 CDT 2016

> I disagree. IMO, the ‘babel’ of programming languages is one of the most annoying problems in our industry. Besides, I don’t see how C++ is any more suitable than Swift for GPU/heterogenous stuff (without peculiar extensions like CUDA). Swift is starting from a clean-slate, and could definitely become a ‘right’ language for this domain.

It is more suitable because it is not pure C++. Don't forget that the Metal Shading Language is "only" based on C++11 and modified to be able to express GPU compute attributes.
For more info: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Metal/Reference/MetalShadingLanguageGuide/cplusplus/cplusplus.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014364-CH8-SW1 <https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Metal/Reference/MetalShadingLanguageGuide/cplusplus/cplusplus.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014364-CH8-SW1>