[swift-evolution] Swift-based Metal Shading Language

Georgios Moschovitis george.moschovitis at icloud.com
Sun Jul 10 02:50:45 CDT 2016

> working on C++ compatibility/interaction is  still quite key because of the mountains of legacy and new code still written everyday in it.

Totally agree, but C++ interoperability is orthogonal to my original request. Would love to have both!

> Also, I think that the right language for the right domain and being able to glue them together is quite key in the modern computing world and using a single language in every computing domain is a chimera that can bring more pain than good.

I disagree. IMO, the ‘babel’ of programming languages is one of the most annoying problems in our industry. Besides, I don’t see how C++ is any more suitable than Swift for GPU/heterogenous stuff (without peculiar extensions like CUDA). Swift is starting from a clean-slate, and could definitely become a ‘right’ language for this domain.