[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:47:45 CDT 2016

FWIW my opinion is that existentials either shouldn't be allowed to stand
in for generic type parameters, or Dave's option #1 if they are.

The implied promise of a generic type parameter T right now is that T
always stands for the same concrete type (modulo things like passing in a
subclass where a class would do), and likewise for all of T's associated
types (T.Foo is always the same type everywhere in the context where T is
valid). This is what makes using anything with 'self' requirements in a
generic context sound. Allowing existentials to satisfy T would violate
that constraint.

Relaxing these semantics would make it too easy to write code that traps at
runtime "without the user having to reach" (to paraphrase Jordan from the
"Swift philosophy" thread). Anyone who really really wants to write code
that is 'compile-time unsound' in this way should have to explicitly type
erase using concrete wrappers.

Best,
Austin