[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:37:18 CDT 2016

We might be talking past each other. I think Matthew is talking about using
an existential outside the context of generic functions. For example,
something like this should be trap-proof (as long as 'x' is immutable,
which it is in this example):

func copySequenceIntoArray(x: Any<Sequence where .Iterator.Element == Int>)
-> [Int] {
var buffer : [Int] = []
        // Stupid implementation to make a point
var iterator : x.Iterator = x.makeIterator()
while true {
let nextItem : Int? = iterator.next()
if let nextItem = nextItem {
buffer.append(nextItem)
} else {
return buffer

Even this would never trap as well:

func copySequenceIntoArray<T>(x: Any<Sequence where .Iterator.Element ==
T>) -> [T] {
var buffer : [T] = []
for item in x {
buffer.append(item)
}
return buffer
}

Where we run into difficulty is something like this (forgive my abuse of
the collections API; I don't remember all the new indexing APIs off the top
of my head):

func doSomething<T : Collection where T.Element == Int>(x: T, y: T) {
// Get indexes out of x and use them to index into y
var idx = x.startIndex
while (idx != x.endIndex || idx != y.endIndex) {
print(x[idx])
print(y[idx])
idx = x.nextIndex(idx)
let someSeq : Any<Collection where .Element == Int> = // ...
let anotherSeq : Any<Collection where .Element == Int> = // ...
// Trouble!
// someSeq and anotherSeq are the same existential type
// But the concrete index types within each of the existential variables
may be different
doSomething(someSeq, anotherSeq)

It's this situation (using an existential type to fulfill a generic type
parameter constrained to the same requirements that comprise that
existential) that requires either of the two options that Dave presented,
due to our lack of compile-time type information about the fulfilling
type's associated types.

Best,
Austin