[swift-evolution] [Pitch] merge types and protocols back together with type<Type, Protocol, ...>

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Sat May 14 13:20:57 CDT 2016

Yes, this is theoretically possible, but why is it useful? (I am genuinely
curious.)

If the intention is to allow B to be a user-defined extension point for T,
this goes back to the core team's arguments (in the thread about optional
protocol requirements) about why having checking for conformance to some
requirement at the use site is a suboptimal idea.

If the intention is to make the type system as expressive as possible, the
core team has already ruled out a number of features (user-defined variance
on generics, generic protocols) because they don't believe in their general
applicability.

Austin