[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0081: Move where clause to end of declaration

Ray Fix rayfix at gmail.com
Thu May 12 10:36:22 CDT 2016

> The review of "SE-0081: Move where clause to end of declaration" begins now and runs through May 16. The proposal is available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0081-move-where-expression.md
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. Although this is (IIUC) syntax sweetener so needs to be prioritized with other changes.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. The given example does look more readable and I can’t think of a situation where it becomes less readable.  Generics are difficult so anything that makes them easier to approach is welcome.  The fact that there is now greater consistency with extension declarations is also +1.

There was an objection raised that it would close the door on a future features or types of constraint. It is difficult for me to evaluate that, but the consensus seemed to be it could be handled with additional syntax and possible keywords.  The consistency and readability for these more common cases should be prioritized IMO.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

No

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

This morning.  Read proposal, pitch and current review thread.  [Tried to parse the proposed grammar changes, but didn’t spend a lot of time with it.] Thanks to the authors and contributors for thinking about this stuff and pushing it forward.