[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0088: Modernize libdispatch for Swift 3 naming conventions

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Wed May 11 00:09:33 CDT 2016

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0088-libdispatch-for-swift3.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0088-libdispatch-for-swift3.md>

1. What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1. While I am not qualified on the technical feasibility of this proposal, I do like it, and find it addresses a lot of annoyances using libdispatch within Swift Code. I agree that libdispatch feels awkward in Swift, especially where relating to dispatch_time_t, which this proposal addresses. As long as there are no significant technical hurdles, I support this proposal.

2. Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. The API is awkward to use from within Swift, and this will update it to optimise for Swift usage.

3. Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. It brings libdispatch into line with other imported C APIs where functions have been added to structs, and other Swift-style modifications have been made.

4. If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I have no experience with language features like this, except using libdispatch in C & Objective-C code, and I find it is actually easier to use in Objective C because it feels at home in a C world. In Swift, the issues with bridging, and the inconsistency with the language, make it somewhat more annoying to use.

5. How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

A quick read, admittedly.