[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0081: Move where clause to end of declaration

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Tue May 10 23:25:28 CDT 2016

> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0081-move-where-expression.md
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1, I like the syntax and think it can clean up some parser ambiguities.

Today, there are several formats using angle brackets:
- a parameter declaration as an ordered dictionary of names to type or type-decensent restrictions (or Any if not specified)
- an argument declaration as an ordered list of concrete types
- an unordered list of required protocol conformances

Eliminating the where clause sometimes available in parameter declarations simplifies understanding the generic syntaxes.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, although I don’t know how it evaluates against possible future syntax for the generics manifesto feature lists

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Followed discussion

-DW