[swift-evolution] What about a VBA style with Statement?

Radosław Pietruszewski radexpl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:17:22 CDT 2016

It can be (more-or-less) solved in library code today:

extension NSObjectProtocol {
    public func with(@noescape fn: Self -> Void) -> Self {
        fn(self)
        return self

This way, you can do, on NSObjects:

textLabel.with {
	$0.textAlignment = .Left
	$0.textColor = .darkTextColor()
}

I love this pattern.

You can also make it a function to make it work with any value of any kind (it will then take form of `with(foo) { …}`).

Ideally, if you could write a universal extension (something like `extension Any`), you could just add this behavior, with method syntax, to everything.

— Radek