[swift-evolution] What about a VBA style with Statement?

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:35:36 CDT 2016

I like this idea.

In Delphi(Pascal) there is also such construction
with someVar do
  begin
  end;
And it is very handy and is used a lot (usually if you need to set/read a
lot of properties of some object).

Additionally, I believe such construction prevents some possible mistakes
with used variable name, especially if there is a similar-named variables
in cod (sometimes because of code completion feature in editor) ex:
someVar1 = ...
someVar1....

someVar2 = ..
someVar2....
someVar1...  << mistake
someVar2...

and if "with" construction were here:

with someVar2 {
   .some...
   var a = .another
   etc
}

But the problem with "with" in Delphi is that it is not explicit what
method/property belongs to that someVar and what doesn't belong.
In Swift, such construction should force us to somehow be explicit
regarding what methods/props belongs to that someVar instance. Seems like
"dot" syntax looks OK.

Don't know if that could be implemented in Swift technically.