[swift-evolution] SE-0025: Scoped Access Level, next steps

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Tue Mar 15 11:25:06 CDT 2016

> To summarize the place we’d like to end up:
>
> - “public” -> symbol visible outside the current module.
> - “internal” -> symbol visible within the current module.
> - unknown -> symbol visible within the current file.
> - “private” -> symbol visible within the current declaration (class, extension, etc).

domestic?

I'm not too thrilled to see the list extend to four words though. The more visibility levels we have between public and private the more subtle the difference and meaningless the choice of word. So I think I'll fall in the camp of private(file)`.

Speaking of meaning though, there's one thing bothering me about altering the meaning of `private` to mean what `local` meant in the Scoped Access Level proposal.

The new `private` keyword will sometime mean file-private and sometime mean declaration-private depending on where it is. That's because file-private and declaration-private are the same thing for elements not part of a declaration. With the `local` keyword, I'd have expected the compiler to emit an error for this declaration found at the root of a file:

	local class A {} // error: use `private` at file scope

thus, restricting `local` to where it actually had an effect: inside declarations. It's useful when seeing `local` to know that this symbol will not be accessible everywhere in the file.

But does this same restriction makes sense for `private`? I think not. And that will make the `private` attribute have the same meaning as `private(file)` when at the root of the file. I'm thus privileging `private(file)` because it makes sense for the compiler to do this:

	private(file) class A {} // error: use `private` at file scope

whereas using a different keyword would make things look messy. Note that I'm reversing the error here: the compiler wants `private` (the old `local`) to be used at file scope, and `private(file)` would be reserved for use inside declarations.

Put simply: whatever the keyword we end up with, oftentimes it'll have the same meaning as `private` and the compiler will have to force your hand with one or the other. In my opinion the old approach with the `local` keyword was cleaner because there was no overloaded meaning.

--
Michel Fortin
https://michelf.ca