[swift-dev] State of Swift on Linux/ARM

william william at housedillon.com
Mon Oct 10 11:30:56 CDT 2016

Hi Ron,

As the unofficial maintainer of Swift on Arm, I can say with confidence that there is no official anything about Swift on Linux/ARM. :)

That said, Swift works and builds fantastically well on the TK1 (which I use as my primary development platform).

Also, yes, all official Swift platforms are 64-bit, and that causes some issues occasionally in user code and libraries when people fail to consider 32-bit systems.  Swift and it's libraries, however, all work with 32-bit just fine.  Any issues I've hit in other places have been pretty trivial.

I have spent some time in the past on the Nvidia TX1, with 64-bit userspace, and I did get swift somewhere resembling a working state, but it was a little flaky in some parts.

Finally, there is a swift-arm github organization with a set of repos that lag considerably from the mainline, but represent a stable port to arm.  It's currently at the Swift 3.0 release.  Additionally, there is a swift-arm slack team that you are welcome to join:

http://dev.iachieved.it:9909 <http://dev.iachieved.it:9909/>

cheers,
- Will