[swift-users] dealing with heterogenous lists/dictionary with Codable

Kevin Nattinger swift at nattinger.net
Thu Oct 19 16:15:53 CDT 2017

So, what I see as the problem here is contradictory compiler statements:

MyPlayground.playground:5:9: note: cannot automatically synthesize 'Encodable' because '[String : Any]' does not conform to 'Encodable'
    let someDict: [String : Any]
        ^

warning: MyPlayground.playground:8:18: warning: 'is' test is always true
[String : Any]() is Codable
                 ^

So is it codable or isn't it? You can use a [String: Any] in encode() and decode() directly, so why doesn't it get compiler support? At the least, the message needs to be updated to something that's actually true.