[swift-users] SwiftProtobuf unable to link on Ubuntu

Geordie J geojay at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:00:16 CDT 2017

Hi

> Am 14.10.2017 um 21:55 schrieb Edward Connell via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org>:
>
> Has anyone used the SwiftProtobuf module on Linux?
> https://github.com/apple/swift-protobuf <https://github.com/apple/swift-protobuf>
>
> I am able to successfully generate swift classes from my proto file.
> However when building, the code compiles but I get a ton of undefined link references.
>
> I included -Xswiftc -I/home/ed/swift-protobuf/.build/release so the module is found, but still….

This should be "-Xlinker” rather than “-Xswiftc”, and also “-l” is for specifying system library names (e.g. "-latomic”). I’m pretty new to this but I think the correct flag is “-L”.
So in the past I have used “-Xlinker -L/path/to/libs”, but I’ve recently read you can actually leave off “-Xlinker” and just have the “-L” bit.

Hope that helps.

- Geordie