[swift-users] Swift for Nuttx RTOS

Alex Blewitt alblue at apple.com
Fri Oct 6 03:38:20 CDT 2017

> On 5 Oct 2017, at 22:47, Igor Mironenko via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> This may be a strange question, but I would like to understand, since both Mac OS and Nuttx RTOS are POSIX certified would it be possible in any way to create a program using Swift language but compile to run it on Nuttx?
>
> Is it something that would require a special compiler to be build specifically for Nuttx, just like there is one for Swift for Linux? In my understanding Swift compiles to a binary code and does work with C/C++. What am I missing here? I googled and looks like I'm the only one interested in such work.

Hi Igor,

Currently Swift requires libraries such as libswiftCore to be compiled for the target platform before being able to compile Swift programs for that platform. This has a number of dependencies, including being able to build a custom build of clang and other support libraries such as dispatch and foundation.

While there is work that allows this project to be compiled for Linux platforms, and others are working on porting it to Android, and other more estoteric platforms, there's nothing been done so far (that I'm aware of) that has targetted Nuttx.

You are likely to have to do some work in order to get Swift building on Nuttx first - once that's done, you may be able to cross-compile programs from a Mac to do there.

Alex