[swift-users] Communicating with dynamically loaded swift library

Daniel Dunbar daniel_dunbar at apple.com
Wed Oct 4 13:17:36 CDT 2017

The way that I have done this in the past is pass a protocol as an unsafe pointer to an exposed entry point:
```swift
            let entryPoint = dlsym(handle, “initializePlugin”)
            guard entryPoint != nil else {
                fatalError("missing plugin entry point: \(pluginPath)")
            }
            typealias PluginInitializationFunc = @convention(c) (UnsafeRawPointer) -> ()
            let f = unsafeBitCast(entryPoint, to: PluginInitializationFunc.self)
            f(Unmanaged.passUnretained(self).toOpaque())
```

and then in the plugin convert back to the appropriate type:

```
@_cdecl("initializePlugin")
public func initializePlugin(_ ptr: UnsafeRawPointer) {
    let manager = Unmanaged<PluginManager>.fromOpaque(ptr).takeUnretainedValue()
```

HTH,
 - Daniel