[swift-users] Is URLSession actually working on Linux

Geordie Jay geojay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:15:21 CDT 2017

swift-users at swift.org>:

> I implemented a simple RSS feed aggregator. I used code like...
>
> let data = try! Data(contentsOf: feedURL)
>
> or
>
> let session = URLSession(configuration: URLSessionConfiguration.default)
> let task = session.dataTask(with: url, completionHandler:
> completionHandler)
> task.resume()
>
> ...to fetch the data.
>
> While my application worked perfectly when running on macOS, when I tried
> to run
> it on Ubuntu it started crashing *randomly* with errors like...
>
> *** Error in `bin/….': double free or corruption (fasttop):
> 0x00007f3880000ff0 ***
> Aborted
>
> or
>
> Illegal instruction
>
> etc.

I haven't seen it myself but I've heard from colleagues that we ran into
the same issues on Android. Foundation depends on libcurl (on Linux at
least?), so we're just going to make our own basic libcurl wrapper that
looks and acts like URLSession until the Foundation one works.

> When I switched to KituraRequest (in place of URLSession), the application
> started
> running correctly on Ubuntu as well.

KituraRequest uses libcurl too, but its dependency tree is too complex for
us to use on Android.

> Are there any issues with the implementation of Foundation for Linux?

tldr; Pretty sure, yes.

> -g.
>

> PS: I am using swift 4.0

-g