[swift-users] [swift-build-dev] Importing C system libraries

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Tue Mar 28 14:58:42 CDT 2017

> On Mar 28, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Rien via swift-build-dev <swift-build-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I feel your pain ;-)
>
> Just embrace the dark side, it takes a little time to get used to, but chances are you won’t regret it.
>
> Btw: I still do my development in Xcode, its just that using the SPM (Swift Package Manager) and git from the command line gives a whole extra dimension to my productivity.
>
> I use a large monitor and have two terminal windows open at all times on the left side, and Xcode open on the right. Two monitors would be even better (I think).

Since you mentioned it… :-D

Using two monitors is a whole new world, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Three is an improvement over two, but not by nearly the same margin as two is to one. Four is, well, I suppose better than leaving a monitor laying around and not doing anything… I've tried stretching my Xcode window really tall, but the bezels are too disruptive for me. I’ve heard more than one person claim that 1x 21:9 monitor is just as good as 2x 16:9/16:10 monitors (maybe better, because the two “screens” don’t have to be the same size anymore), but I haven’t had a chance to try one out yet.

> Xcode is really amazing: when I regenerate the project in a terminal, there is no need to close and reopen xcode. Xcode will collapse the navigator, but otherwise it just refreshes with the new content. Its quite neat to work this way. The only two drawbacks that I have detected so far is that I need to “clean” more in Xcode, and that the old project settings are overwritten, thus if you do a lot of tweaking of the build settings this might not work out all that well.

Yeah, if Xcode were open-source, I’d be working on SwiftPM integration. Hmm… Maybe SwiftPM can detect if a .xcodeproj file already exists and copy any custom settings from there before writing the new one? That might not be too hard, depending on how complicated those files are.

- Dave Sweeris