[swift-users] Importing C system libraries

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Tue Mar 28 12:47:55 CDT 2017

Sure! In this example, I have built libgit2. I have a directory called Git, and inside that I have the following module map:

module Git [system] {
       header "<my path>/libgit2/include/git2.h"
       export *
}

When I run, I use:

swift -I <path-to-“Git”-directory> -L <path-to-built-libgit2> -lgit2 foo.swift

inside foo.swift I can:

import Git
// … use libGit2

Read more about how to write a more appropriate module.map file for your purposes at https://clang.llvm.org/docs/Modules.html <https://clang.llvm.org/docs/Modules.html>. For example, you might be able to define link flags inside the module.map, use umbrella directories, submodules, etc.