[swift-users] ideas to remove NSCoding as requirement in UIView subclasses

Lou Zell lzell11 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 11:22:01 CDT 2016

Hi all,

For better or worse I still hand code most of my views. I am getting
frustrated by the constant compiler error that I haven't updated "required
init(coder:)", which is something that will never be executed in my case.

Is there some hacky mechanism that I could use to create a subtype that
doesn't conform to all protocols of the parent?  Seems like recipe for
disaster so I suspect it's not built into swift directly.

Is there a creative way to use UIViews, but with the dependency on NSCoding
removed? I am open to total hacks.

Thanks!
Lou