[swift-users] Guide on how to use Swift Package Manager

Ankit Agarwal ankit at ankit.im
Sat Aug 13 04:25:38 CDT 2016

There has been some progress towards better documentation, but there is
still a lot to be done. Here are some current references (which might need
updates..)
https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/blob/master/Documentation/Usage.md#build-an-executable
https://swift.org/package-manager/#example-usage
https://swift.org/package-manager/

Basically SwiftPM has three commands: swift build, swift package and swift
test
You can see available options on each using --help option.

$ swift package --help

To create an executable:

$ mkdir myPackage && cd myPackage
$ swift package init --type executable
$ swift build
$ .build/debug/myPackage

some JIRAs tracking this:
https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-2304
https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-2179

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Adrian Brink via swift-users <
swift-users at swift.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so I would like to write a small CLI in Swift and use the Swift Package
> Manager.
>
> However, I have a hard time finding resources that explain, which versions
> of Swift support it exactly, what the init command is and where to go from
> there.
>
> All I have found are these two resources:
> https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager
> https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/tree/master/Documentation
>
> Is there something like this:
> https://docs.npmjs.com/
> https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/getting-started.html
>
> I think this is crucial if we want to get new people to try out the open
> source version of Swift because these tutorials are what people have come
> to expect when approaching a new language.
>
> If there is, I would appreciate it if we could share it and if there isn't
> it would be nice if we, as a community, could create something like this,
> or at least one README page that walks through the initial flow.
>
> If someone is interested let me know and then we can try and make it work.
>
> Sent from Nylas N1
> <https://link.nylas.com/link/cpvvu89b6khaohz5hhf2xh3dw/local-d2b7550c-221a/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fnylas.com%2Fn1%3Fref%3Dn1&r=c3dpZnQtdXNlcnNAc3dpZnQub3Jn>,
> the extensible, open source mail client.

Ankit