[swift-users] Can Swift 2.3 frameworks be used with a Swift 3.0 app?

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Mon Jun 27 11:27:28 CDT 2016

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 8:59 AM, zh ao <owenzx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not with current Swift 3. Currently, the developing team make efforts on releasing Swift 3 together with iOS 10 and macOS 10.12 in September.

I know it’s not with Swift 3. Hopefully people on the dev team are thinking farther ahead.

>> The primary goal of this release is to solidify and mature the Swift language and development experience. While source breaking changes to the language have been the norm for Swift 1 through 3, we would like the Swift 3.x (and Swift 4+) languages to be as source compatible with Swift 3.0 as reasonably possible.

I’m asking about binary compatibility, not source compatibility; they’re not the same. For example, the Objective-C language has gone through many major changes since 2001, but the runtime has only broken binary compatibility once (and that was done in a way that didn’t affect any existing code, by putting it into the 64-bit transition on OS X and into the brand-new iOS.)

—Jens