[swift-users] Static linking

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Sat Jun 18 16:55:18 CDT 2016

In regards to Mac and iOS apps, the dylibs are included because of the lack of ABI stability, which was a goal for Swift 3 that was pushed back due to the really significant changes that occurred in the language.

From what I understand, these dylibs are very light and simply act as binding between the actual frameworks and your code, rather than being their own code. Thus, I expect they’re as heavily optimised as they can be, and are relatively light impact. They were more discussing true frameworks and libraries.

I don’t have any official evidence of this and it’d be something I’d love to get an official comment on too, but this would be my understanding. Also, if they were a significant hit I would have expected them to mention it while they were throwing around their pro-Swift recommendations, as a caveat.