[swift-users] Static linking

David Beck swift at tnku.co
Sat Jun 18 10:41:08 CDT 2016

In session 406: optimizing app startup time at WWDC, most of the recommendations were very pro Swift. Things like using structs and the fact that it can automatically inline calls. One recommendation that was very anti swift, was the section on limiting dylibs. The presenter recommended keeping it to under 6. I’m not sure if the 15 libswift dylibs that get included by default in a Swift application count towards that (he did mention that Apple frameworks are optimized, but I’m not sure if that is limited to the ones preinstalled on the device).

His recommendation was to use static libraries, which makes sense, except that Swift on iOS doesn’t seem to support static linking. But for whatever reason, Swift PM ONLY supports static linking. Is there any plans to add static linking to Mac and iOS apps? The only alternative I see at this point is to simply include the source files from libraries in the app’s target, but Swift has from the beginning encouraged naming things generically and relying on modules for name spacing.

David Beck
http://davidbeck.co
http://twitter.com/davbeck
http://facebook.com/davbeck