[swift-users] Swift Binary Size vs. Obj-C

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Thu Jun 16 11:43:08 CDT 2016

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Austin Zheng via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Swift binaries are so massive currently because there's no ABI stability, therefore the runtime and support libraries must be packaged with every application. This should change in the future.

Does anyone have an estimate of how far off this future is? Presumably it involves the runtime libraries being bundled into the OS … so would this happen in iOS 10 / macOS 10.12?

I’d love to use Swift, but I work on a framework <https://github.com/couchbase/couchbase-lite-ios/> for use by other apps, and I can’t justify adding any Swift code to the framework if that would suddenly cause everyone’s app size to balloon by ~5MB. (Except for devs already using Swift in their apps, true, but I don’t know how many of them are.)

—Jens