[swift-users] Trouble constraining a generic type in an extension

davesweeris at mac.com davesweeris at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 15:25:12 CDT 2016

Bool isn’t a class (or protocol), so nothing can inherit from it.

Until Swift gains the ability to extend generic types where their parameters are *equal* to concrete types, as opposed to where they *inherit from or conform to* something, I think the best you can do is this:
public extension check where T: BooleanType {
    public func isTrue() { XCTAssertTrue(actual.boolValue) }
}

I *think* the feature you’re trying to use is on the todo list for Swift 3, but the last time I said that, I was completely wrong. The swift-evolution mailing list probably has more information.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

- Dave Sweeris