[swift-users] Command failed due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Sun Feb 28 15:29:01 CST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016, at 01:19 PM, Joe Groff via swift-users wrote:
> Ryan Lovelett via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile some code that interacts with FFmpeg and for the
> > most part have been making progress. Until I added some AVFilter code.
> > Now it is failing to compile with the error: "Command failed due to
> > signal: Illegal instruction: 4".
> >

> The compiler crashing is always a bug. Please file a bug if you have
> time.
> Thanks!
>
> -Joe

Joe, thank you confirming my hunch. I've gone ahead and done that.
https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-846

As you might imagine this is now a blocking bug for my project. I'd
really like to fix this as soon as humanly possible.

I also realize that, while a priority for me, it is may not be for
anyone else. With that in mind, my assumption is that if its going to be
fixed "soon" I probably need to fix it myself. Unfortunately, I have
little experience with this and would not know where to begin. Is there
anything I can read that might explain how to begin debugging the
compiler?