[swift-users] "business applications market" flame

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jan 9 23:17:16 CST 2016

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 10:28 PM, Don Wills via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Jens -
>
> I apologize for having annoyed you, but this thread has been very informative for me.
>
> I was under the misconception that Swift was more similar to Java and .NET than to C, C++ and Obj-C.  Your statement - The designers of Swift do not like exceptions. - clears up some of my misunderstanding of fundamental principles guiding Swift design.  And thank you Brent Royal-Gordon - your explanation was of great help in furthering my understanding of those design decisions.

Hi Don,

The other folks on this thread are essentially correct, though the tone wasn’t always helpful.  It strikes me that you may not have seen the error handling rationale document.  If that is the case, you should take a look, it describes many of these tradeoffs, including a number of specific mentions of the Java model and why we decided to go with something different:
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst>

Overall, I think the Swift model has worked out really well.  The only thing that I’m aware of that we’re seriously considering changing is to allow the ability to throw a single specific error type, instead of having type erasure take it all away.  This is blocked on the resilience work landing, but it would be great to see it get implemented shortly after that.

-Chris