[swift-users] "business applications market" flame

Kate Stone katherine_stone at apple.com
Fri Jan 8 11:54:32 CST 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org <mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:
>
>> IMO, Java has it right - let the API designer decide which approach to take.
>
> That's a frankly laughable misreading of the Java story. The Java story is that they wanted everyone to use checked exceptions, but the users loathed them so much that they found hacks to get around the checked exception system

As someone who shipped significant Java codebases, I actually found significant value in having readily identifiable anti-patterns that marked bad code.  Anywhere API that caught all exceptions, transparently passed all exceptions along, or attempted to catch runtime errors was immediately suspect.

Kate Stone k8stone at apple.com <mailto:k8stone at apple.com>
 Xcode Low Level Tools