[swift-users] "business applications market" flame

Don Wills don.wills at portablesoftware.com
Thu Jan 7 16:33:23 CST 2016

>> On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org <mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, Java has it right - let the API designer decide which approach to take.
>>
>> That's a frankly laughable misreading of the Java story. The Java story is that they wanted everyone to use checked exceptions, but the users loathed them so much that they found hacks to get around the checked exception system

Do you really believe that you can stop the "users" who "loathed them so much" from doing what they want to do with Swift?  Hubris isn't a strong enough word to describe that attitude.

FWIW, I've already started down the path of dealing with the lack of unchecked <whatever-you-call-em>s by using the following code:

func add(p1: String, _ p2 Any) {
    try! addWithThrows(p1, p2)
}

private func addWithThrows(p1: String, _ p2 Any) throws {
    // code that handles many types for p2, followed by return for each of the valid types
    throw Exception("Invalid type")  /* for those types not supported which is a programmer error */
}

public class Exception: ErrorType {
    init() {
    }
    init(_ msg: String) {

You can laugh all you at my OPINION about Java's checked and unchecked, but in the end, the great unwashed masses of programmers do whatever they believe is best to build their software, regardless of what programming languages designers believe or try to force upon them.